icrosoft’s new ClickOnce auto-updating technology can radically simplify application deployment. Using it, .NET developers and architects can deliver highly interactive desktop applications while gaining the centralized maintainability and “always-up-to-date” qualities of Web applications.
Microsoft Regional Director and MVP Brian Noyes has unsurpassed experience previewing and teaching ClickOnce to professional developers. In “Smart Client Deployment with ClickOnce,” Noyes demonstrates exactly how to make the most of ClickOnce in your real-world enterprise applications. Noyes covers ClickOnce design, architecture, security, installation, updates, and bootstrapping?each with a full case study and detailed sample code.
This focused, concise book explains how to:
- Design client applications for efficient deployment and auto-updating
- Perform application deployments and automatic updates quickly and easily
- Deliver “on-demand” client application updates
- Deploy prerequisites with the Visual Studio 2005 Bootstrapper
- Take full control of ClickOnce’s powerful publishing, update, and security options
- Leverage the Visual Studio 2005 and .NET 2.0 platform features that make ClickOnce possible
- Understand how your application will behave in the ClickOnce runtime environment
This sample chapter (Chapter 6, “ClickOnce Security”) explains:
- How to protect client machines from being compromised by your application’s installation or execution
- How to protect application files from being tampered with on the deployment server
- How to implement authentication and authorization based on the user’s identity
- Controlling application permissions based on the identity of the application publisher
Download the PDF of Chapter 6: “ClickOnce Security” (~1.6M).
You can download the sample code for the book from www.softinsight.com/clickoncebook.
Reproduced from Smart Client Deployment with ClickOnce: Deploying Windows Forms Applications with ClickOnce by permission of Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0321197690, copyright 2006. All rights reserved.