adio frequency identification (RFID) technology is rapidly becoming ubiquitous as businesses seek to streamline supply chains and respond to mandates from key customers. But RFID and other new wireless ID technologies raise unprecedented privacy issues. RFID: Applications, Security, and Privacy covers these issues from every angle and viewpoint.
Award-winning technology journalist and privacy expert Simson Garfinkel brings together contributions from every stakeholder community?from RFID suppliers to privacy advocates and beyond. His contributors introduce today’s leading wireless ID technologies, trace their evolution, explain their promise, assess their privacy risks, and evaluate proposed solutions?technical, business, and political. The book also looks beyond RFID, reviewing the privacy implications of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, smart cards, biometrics, new cell-phone networks, and the ever-evolving Internet. Highlights include:
- How RFID and other wireless ID technologies work
- RFID applications?from gas stations and pharmacies to the twenty-first century battlefield
- RFID, privacy, and the law?in the United States and around the world
- RFID, security, and industrial espionage
- How Bluetooth and Wi-Fi can track individuals, with or without their permission
- Technical solutions to wireless ID privacy concerns?their values and limitations
- Stakeholder perspectives from EPCglobal, Inc., Gemplus, The Procter & Gamble Company, and other industry leaders
- The future of citizen activism on privacy issues
Chapter 2 discusses the basics of RFID, how the tags and readers work, how much information they can store, the frequencies and read distances of various tag types, and various RFID applications. Chapter 3 discusses the genesis of the Electronic Product Code (EPC) and how businesses use that code to connect the limited information carried on the transponders to more detailed information in databases, as well as privacy issues engendered by the very existence of RFID tags in consumer goods.
Download the PDF of Chapter 2: Understanding RFID Technology
Download the PDF of Chapter 3: A History of the EPC
Reproduced from RFID: Applications, Security, and Privacy, 1st Ed., by permission of Addison Wesley Professional. ISBN: 0321290968, copyright 2005. All rights reserved.