Visual Studio makes it simple to add an installer class to your Windows service. Here are the steps:
- Open the “Solution Explorer” (press Ctrl-Alt-L, or go to the “View” menu and select Solution Explorer).
- Right-click on the appropriate code type for your service (e.g. “*.vb”) and choose “View Designer.” For Windows services, there will not be any forms in the designer.
- Right-click on the grey area, and choose “Add Installer.”
- VS will add a new installer class to your project named (for VB applications) “ProjectInstaller.vb,” as well as “ServiceInstaller1” and “ServiceProcessInstaller1” files.
- Change the property values appropriately to suit your needs. For example, set the Start Account to LocalService to start the service under the LocalService account (in ServiceProcessInstaller1).
- Change the ServiceName property to match your service’s name, set the StartType to Automatic or Manual, and enter an appropriate Description (in ServiceInstaller1).
That’s it. Save your changes, and you’re done.