Developers who are writing code that extends the capabilities of cloud applications face a lot of potential pitfalls. David Taber offers a number of tips to avoid those pitfalls, including the following:
- Work in a recently-refreshed sandbox.
- Check every field for NULL, and check every set, list, or map for EMPTY before you try to use it in any logic.
- Write classes that handle all application errors in real time send them as messages to centralized error-logging services.
- Keep modules small, simple and separable.
- Use in-memory caching of data.