Between 2007 and 2009, the Second Life userbase grew dramatically. Drawing from experience working for the company, Ian Wilkes offers developers advice on how to create Web apps that are able to withstand that kind of growth. Here’s an overview:
- At the outset, correctly identify the business need and reliability targets.
- Get the team in the right mindset.
- Understand the limitations of your database.
- Standardize your hardware.
- Keep good data about errors and deal with them in an organized fashion.
- Beware of batch jobs.
- Keep alerts under control.
- When dealing with bottlenecks, don’t change everything at once.