Every year, Mary Meeker releases a highly anticipated report on the state of the Internet. A former analyst, Meeker is now a venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and her thorough reports have a wide-ranging impact on the tech industry. This year’s report encompasses 197 slides and includes a number of insights that might be useful for developers:
- 39 percent of the world’s population now uses the Internet; that’s 2.8 billion people.
- The top five Internet companies (1. Apple. 2. Google. 3. Alibaba. 4. Facebook. 5. Amazon) are platforms.
- While the Internet has already made a huge impact in the consumer and business segments, it still presents many untapped opportunities in education, healthcare and government.
- Internet use and smartphone use are still growing, but that growth is slowing.
- On average, American adults spend 5.6 hours per day on the Internet, usually spread over many short sessions.
- Although Americans spend 24 percent of their media time with mobile devices, mobile only accounts for 8 percent of ad spending.
- Enterprise software has transformed the way work is done.
- All the top apps are messaging apps.
- User-generated content is skyrocketing.
Note: the link below will take you to a summary of the report, but the entire slideshow is also available online.