When I start my PC, the first thing on the screen (after the virus scan)is Internet Explorer. Then I get a navagation cancelled box. How do I stop IE from coming up on the screen until I ask for it? I have searched winfile and the start menu and cannot locate a reason for this. I do not have active desktop so that is not the answer.
There are several places where NT can store information on programs to start automagically at startup (isn’t life fun
(1) Under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Load and Run entries
(2) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon UserInit entry
(3) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlWOW Wowcmdline entry (16-bit only)
(4) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnce and RunOnceEx
(5) The startup folders in the profile for both your current userID and for All Users.
I may have missed one or two, but you get the idea. For a task like this, use REGEDIT (not REGEDT32) and search for all instances of IEXPLORE in the registry.