According to IHS Screen Digest, Apple’s App Store accounted for 82.7 percent of the total global application store revenue in 2010. However, a number of companies are coming up with alternatives that they hope will take a bite out of that number. Here are a few of the more noteworthy new competitors:
- Kinoma offers a cross-platform development environment.
- The Wholesale Applications Community (WAC) provides wholesale applications that network operators can make available through their own app stores.
- The MobiUS Web Browser aims to bring WAC apps to iOS.
- Zeewe is a free, cross-platform HTML5 app store.
- Openwave provides apps to network operators and has a partnership with GetJar.