Consultant Scott Plewes of Macadamian said that he believes that the following five trends will be critical for enterprise application development in the coming year:
- Mobile workplaces – It’s important for enterprise application developers to understand that people will be working from many places outside the office.
- Cloud computing – Enterprise users will expect to be able to store data in the cloud and access it from a variety of devices.
- Context awareness – Workers who aren’t in the office may face more distractions, and developers should simplify their interfaces accordingly.
- Data analytics – Developers “need to figure out how to present information quickly so people can interpret it quickly in order to gain the insight necessary to make a business decision,” said Plewes.
- Specialization – Developers will need to have better understanding of vertical industries in order to create applications that meet their needs.