A new Vision Mobile survey of 1,500 mobile development pros finds that the average developer earns $1,200-$3,900 per app each month. Surprisingly, BlackBerry was the most lucrative platform, earning an average $3,853 per app by month, followed by iOS ($3,693) and Android ($2,735). However, one out of three apps earns less than $500 per month.
Other highlights from the mobile development survey include the following:
- On average, it costs $27,462 to develop an iOS app, compared to just $15,181 for a BlackBerry app.
- A growing number of developers who create apps for BlackBerry, Symbian and webOS plan to stop building apps for those platforms.
- 57 percent of developers say they plan to start building Windows Phone apps.
- iOS developers are the most satisfied with their earning potential.
- On average, it takes three months to build an app.
- Subscriptions earn devs the most money, but paid downloads is the most popular revenue model.
- 51 percent of developers are making tablet apps.