Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) is an integrated suite of server capabilities that can help improve organizational effectiveness by providing control over electronic content, simplifying how people find and share information. It’s a part of Microsoft Office family that supports collaboration, content management, search, and business processes. MOSS is mainly used for intranet portals, document and file management, collaboration, social networks, extranets, websites, enterprise search, and business intelligence.
“Microsoft Office SharePoint Server” in phonetics would be: ‘Maɪkrəʊsɒft ɒfɪs ʃeɪrˌpɔɪnt ˈsɜːrvər’
Key Takeaways about Microsoft Office SharePoint Server
- Collaboration & Content Management: SharePoint offers a rich platform for teams to work collaboratively. It gives options to create websites, store, organize, share, and access information from almost any device.
- Business Process Automation: SharePoint Server provides Business Process Management features, such as workflows to manage and streamline business processes. It can be tailored to automate your consistent business processes.
- Enterprise Search Capability: SharePoint Server provides a robust enterprise search capability. It allows users to quickly find information they need among the large amount of content and data within the organization.
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is important because it is a highly popular platform that supports various business activities such as collaboration, content management, and enterprise search. It provides a secure place to store, organize, share, and access information from almost any device. With its broad range of integrative features and the ability to customize based on business needs, SharePoint Server enables efficient workflow management and better communication within a team or organization. Furthermore, its integration with other Microsoft Office products makes it easier to use and more convenient, thus enhancing productivity. By creating organized digital workspaces for different projects, departments, or workgroups, Microsoft Office SharePoint Server promotes regulated information sharing and better decision-making processes in the workplace.
Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) is a dedicated platform designed by Microsoft to nurture collaboration and seamless information exchange in a business environment. It serves as a centralized portal where individuals within an organization can manage and exchange data efficiently. With a wide range of applications, SharePoint Server aids businesses in handling documentation, providing platform for collaboration, implementing process workflows and contributing to content management.The purpose of MOSS is to simplify and streamline business processes by making information readily accessible and ensuring smooth communication amongst teams. The platform comes equipped with a content management system, facilitating retrieval, storage, archiving and tracking of electronic documents and records. Users can develop and manage customizable workflows for process-driven solution, handle content revisions and process audit for compliance. Moreover, SharePoint Server even allows creation of internal websites (Intranet) and provides enterprise search feature, significantly enhancing information accessibility within organization. Consequently, easy retrieval of stored information and effective team collaboration results in increased productivity, making SharePoint Server an essential tool for businesses.
1. Collaboration in Corporate Settings: Many businesses utilize Microsoft Office SharePoint Server to streamline their internal operations. For example, a global manufacturing company can use SharePoint to store critical documents like product specifications, manufacturing blueprints, etc., in one place. This allows employees in different parts of the world to access these files simultaneously, enhancing collaboration and coordination among the global team.2. Education Sector: Universities and schools can use Microsoft Office SharePoint Server as a learning management system. For example, a university can use SharePoint to provide students with an online platform where they can access course materials, submit assignments, and engage in discussion forums. Professors and staff can also easily share administrative documents and educational resources throughout the organization. 3. HealthCare Facility: Hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare providers can use Microsoft Office SharePoint Server to maintain electronic health records (EHRs). For instance, a hospital might use SharePoint to store patient information, enabling different departments within the hospital to access a patient’s medical history, treatment records, lab results, etc., all in one place. This can lead to better care coordination and improved patient outcomes.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
Q: What is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server?A: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) is a platform from Microsoft used for collaboration, file sharing, web publishing, and various other features that are useful in corporate environments.Q: What are the key features of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server?A: Key features of MOSS include collaboration, portals, enterprise search, enterprise content management, business process and forms, and business intelligence.Q: How does Microsoft Office SharePoint Server facilitate collaboration?A: MOSS facilitates collaboration by enabling teams to create websites for information sharing and document collaboration. It also enables the use of wikis and blogs for knowledge sharing.Q: Is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server a cloud service?A: Originally, SharePoint was an on-premise solution. However, Microsoft now offers SharePoint Online, a cloud-based service, as a part of their Office 365 suite.Q: How does Microsoft Office SharePoint Server assist in content management?A: MOSS helps in content management by allowing users to store, retrieve, archive, track, manage, and report on digital documents and records.Q: What is the difference between SharePoint and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server?A: SharePoint is a platform offering a wide range of services, MOSS is a specific version of SharePoint that includes additional integrated capabilities such as more complex enterprise content management and business intelligence tools.Q: Is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server user-friendly?A: MOSS has a user-friendly interface similar to other Microsoft Office products, which makes it easily adaptable for many users. However, certain advanced features may require technical expertise.Q: Does Microsoft Office SharePoint Server support mobile devices?A: Yes, SharePoint offers a mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone to allow users to access and manage their SharePoint sites from mobile devices.Q: Can Microsoft Office SharePoint Server integrate with other Microsoft products?A: Yes, MOSS integrates seamlessly with other Microsoft products like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, among others, allowing users to work smoothly across various platforms.Q: Is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server secure?A: Yes, MOSS follows robust security measures including permissions on sites and content, data encryption, and audit log tracking to ensure data security and privacy. However, the ultimate security depends on your organization’s implementation and management of these features.
Related Tech Terms
- Web application platform
- Content management system
- Collaboration software
- Enterprise search
- Business Intelligence
Sources for More Information
- Microsoft’s Official SharePoint Website – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/sharepoint/collaboration
- TechNet – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc303422(v=office.12).aspx
- SharePoint StackExchange – https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/
- Lynda.com SharePoint Courses – https://www.lynda.com/SharePoint-tutorials