As part of a recent Gartner Symposium/ITxpo, analysts from the research team outlined strategic technology steps that enterprises should plan to take for 2014. Several of them relate to enterprise application development. Here's the complete list:
- Get a handle on the growing number of mobile devices.
- Develop interfaces that are flexible and adaptable.
- Start thinking about the Internet of things.
- Begin designing a hybrid cloud.
- Start developing cloud/client architecture.
- Prepare for the personal cloud.
- Look for the shift toward software-defined everything.
- Emulate cloud service providers.
- Prepare for smart machines.
- Expect 3D printing to take off.