HP has announced that it is working on a radically different type of server architecture "that will be available by the end of the decade." Called "The Machine," it's designed to handle the big data generated by mobile devices, cloud computing and the Internet of Things, and it will utilize technology breakthroughs like memristors and high-speed silicon photonics. Here's what else developers should know about The Machine:
- It will have application-specific processors.
- It will be six times more powerful than any computer currently on the market.
- It will be able to analyze 160 PB of data every 250 nanoseconds.
- It will utilize a new software approach and a new operating system.
- It will use 80 times less energy than current servers.
- It will include an element of cloud computing.