What were the biggest application development stories of 2012? InfoWorld offers a brief overview:
- The mobile development debate shifted from iOS vs. Android to native vs. the mobile Web.
- Despite declining satisfaction and a “dislike” from Facebook, HTML5 continued to gain traction.
- Thanks to the popularity of iOS, Objective-C became the third most popular programming language.
- App stores became a major application distribution channel.
- Developers lost interest in RIM as BlackBerry use declined.
- Venture capitalists at Andreessen Horowitz invested $100 million in GitHub.
- Microsoft released Visual Studio 2012.
- More vendors got into the cloud development market with platform as a service releases.