At the OpenStack Cloud Summit in Hong Kong, OpenStack Foundation Executive Director Jonathan Bryce shared some facts and statistics about the cloud computing platform's global reach. Key takeaways included the following:
- While the U.S. is still the leading location for OpenStack developers, Europe and China are also important.
- OpenStack clouds are deployed in more than 200 cities around the world.
- Web Services are the top application workload for OpenStack clouds.
- 55% of OpenStack clouds run on Ubuntu.
- 62% of OpenStack clouds use the KVM hypervisor.
- 60% of OpenStack deployments are private, on-premise cloud computing environments.